

SEVERN VALLEY MCC MEMBERS' MEETING

Alveley Sports Club, Alveley, WV15 6LNbetter
28th October 2023; 12:00 pm

Committee Members Present:

Chairman – Phil Care
Vice Chairman – Tony Barnsley
Treasurer – Andrea Care

Apologies:

Hayley Scarborough
Gail Cole
Andy Mawdsley

MINUTES OF MEETING (Non-verbatim) Notetaker – Karen Sheers

1. Welcome

Chairman opened meeting 12:00pm. Before commencing business, thanks were extended to Chris Windmill and all of the members of the previous committee for all the work they have done over the past year.

[Members applause]

2. Introduction of new Committee

Chairman introduced the committee and confirmed the roles each would play and take responsibility for:

Phil Care – Chairman

Tony Barnsley – Vice Chair and Equipment Officer

Hayley Scarborough – Secretary. Hayley has previous experience in this role.

Andrea Care – Treasurer. Andrea being Treasurer would present a problem as only one of them could be an authorised signatory. Phil will remain as the signatory.

Gail Cole – Welfare. Take up members interests and concerns.

Andy Mawdsley – Website. Andy has a lot of experience in websites and IT technology. He will make sure information is up to date.

Health and Safety will come under the compass of both Phil and Hayley as both are BS accredited health and safety auditors. Take this on together.

Rallies will become a committee responsibility and Phil will be the lead contact. If members email via the website, it will come to Phil and he will do his best to answer.

Secondly, on rallies, anybody that has any locations, please let Committee know as going forward, we would like to cater for everybody within the region, all the different locations, as we have a vast area, and we want to grab as many people as we can to come and enjoy themselves.

3. Rallies for 2024

Chairman confirmed that himself and Chris have been doing work together. The rally programme has not been finalised; we are waiting on people to come back to us. As it stands at the moment, we have 12 venues. Phil hopes to have that clarified and sorted by the end of the week. He will post this up on the website and what he also intends to do and after speaking to Chris; Chris is prepared to print off the flyers that were sent out last year, so individuals will have them to put up on their notice boards. That will be done as soon as possible.

We have to put the rally diary for next year into the magazine, so hence the deadline is the 5th November to sort it out.

4. Members questions

Chairman opened up to the floor for members questions and concerns.

Pat Kirby:

You say you are going to be the lead for rallies?

Chairman:

I am going to be the lead contact.

Pat Kirby:

As lead contact, not as Rally Officer.

Chairman:

Yes, as lead contact. We have no requirement for a Rally Officer. We want to be consistent where everybody gets involved in it, so I'm happy to go out and scout locations, and do the health and safety. Other people are quite happy to sort out entertainment, what we are going to do, etc.

John Kirby:

Chairman, do you realise that you are only supposed to be Chairman and nothing but. Any other post within the committee should be signed over to any other member of the committee.

Chairman:

Yes, that's why I am just a leading contact on the rallies, so that I can put it to the rest ...

John Kirby:

... but you've just stated that you are health and safety as well?

Chairman:

No. Hayley is the lead, Hayley Scarborough will lead on health and safety. But I will, if there is an issue, back her up. That's what we are trying to do. If Hayley isn't available then I will step in and do it. You can say you can do one job, but at the end of the day, we want to be a committee that is trying to be multifunctional so that everybody knows what every other role is so that we can carry on and transfer those skills across the board. We want to try and get a bit of continuity and if everybody knows the various roles, we can ensure ...

John Kirby:

... but you shouldn't really put yourself down. Whether you carry on those roles, you shouldn't imply that you are doing those roles.

Jacci Durkee:

Can I just say that I did speak to Phil before he made the announcement. I said that provided there was a contact, and he's going forward as a contact, it's going to be a committee, a team effort, to bring the rallies on. There isn't enough committee and as you are well aware, there are lots of jobs so they are sharing them out. It's going to be a team effort unless other people want to come and join them and then they can spread the team effort a bit more. At the minute, I've just said, that they have to have some form of contact. So, in the magazine ...

John Kirby:

... Jacci, I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just stating the fact that he said he was going to be what he was, okay. He cannot, he can only be Chairman as per the Constitution.

Keith Penn:

With all the Committee doing the rallies and whatever, are you doing the hosting as well or are you still asking for hosts?

Chairman:

We are still asking for hosts for next year.

Keith Penn:

Can I suggest then that it is put on the leaflet who the hosts are? It's nice to know who the hosts are. Some people go where certain hosts are, some people ...

Chairman:

Yes, we want to try and put more information on the website so people can see what happening and who is going to be hosting it, and links to what's on in the local area so people can see because...

Keith Penn:

Also, whether on grass or hardstanding?

Chairman:

Well, the weather forecast as well!

[Members laughing]

Keith Penn:

Whether on grass or hardstanding because some people won't go on grass.

Chairman:

Yes, that's why we've got Andy in that role who wants to get the information there. We will post up as much as we can to give people information. If we've got a weather forecast it's like this, but you know as well as I do, you can go 10 miles down the road it's totally different. We want to give as much information as possible so more people can make a choice and hopefully come and join us.

We would also like to get more information from members about what they would like to see at rallies. We've all got different things that we do in life, what would you like to go and participate in at a rally? What would you like to have provided for you?

Keith Penn:

In the winter we could do with more hardstanding. The grass, that's what's putting a lot of people off coming here now.

Chris Windmill:

Problem with rallying now though Keith is...

Keith Penn:

...I know you've got to find the places.

Chris Windmill:

No, we can find the places, but anyone with hardstanding now, any sites, they're putting the prices up.

Keith Penn:

Yeah but, we've got what £15,000, £12,000 something like that. We only need to run with £3,000.

Chairman:

I think we would like next year to try and provide as many activities, entertainment as we possibly can because this is all about, you know, having fun, getting together, socialising. If we don't put anything on, people just sit in their vans.

Chris Windmill:

Yes, like last night.

Chairman:

We need to get people in together and make more of the club. The only way we are going to do that is by getting feedback from the members. So, if you want something, let me know and we will see if we can fit it in.

Chris Windmill:

Entertainment like at the New Year rally; Jeremy is having his back waxed for the Air Ambulance.

[Members laughing]

Jo Hale:

And Shaun!

Chris Windmill:

The things you agree to when you're drunk, eh!

[Members laughing]

Pat Kirby:

Last year we asked if we could have a rally programme out, I'm asking again, can we have a rally programme sent out to members?

Chairman:

That is what we are going to do. Chris has agreed to do the printing.

Pat Kirby:

But that just gave dates.

Chairman:

We will try and expand a little bit on that.

Pat Kirby:

We need addresses, postcodes, what's going to be on that weekend.

Chairman:

What we want to do is also supplement that by putting all the information and more on the website.

Pat Kirby:

Yes, but not everybody has...

Chairman:

...I know that, that's why we are sending the flyer out with the rallies on and what information we can get, on there. We've already, Chris and myself, discussed that, what we are going to do. But, until we can finalise the rallies that we are going to run next year, we can't decide what format that's going to take and how much space we will have to do that, but it is being looked at I can assure you of that.

Pat Kirby:

By putting that out, you can also give a lot of information, rally rules, what's expected, also little pages saying if you have a venue please contact, you can put more information out on that than you will ever put on the website for people to read.

Keith Penn:

Also, if you get a venue for us, you get a free night!

[Members laughing]

Jacci Durkee:

Other groups do that.

John Kirby:

I think you will find that the majority of people would like to have an actual rally book programme as opposed to just a leaflet. It's very good of Chris to do what he did this past year and what have you, but you've got 350 odd members in the club. If you want to reach those members then you need to do the hard work in putting something out, in a format they can appreciate, they can see, having physically in their hands, as opposed to 'can you go on the website'. To actually see it, and as Pat quite rightly said, within the programme can be put down there, the rules of rally, that a lot of members have never ever known anything about, and where they can find this information from, like all the contacts and everything else for your committee.

Chris Windmill:

Is there any way that CoMs can look at your membership to see if they are active in going, not to Severn Valley rallies, but any rallies anywhere? We've got 390 members, we never see those 390 members, a lot of people join just to get ferry discounts, do the shows...

Jacci Durkee:

Yes, a lot of people join and only go to the shows. I get that because it's economical for them. We have no records of who rallies, as each group runs autonomously.

Chris Windmill:

We've probably got members who've forgotten they've got a standing order or something.

Jacci Durkee:

Yeah, they've got a direct debit and we keep taking the money basically. Because each group is autonomous, you are the only ones who have got records of who rallies with who, we don't. We don't interfere.

Chris Windmill:

If you are going to have a rally programme, it's £1,000 before we've had it done, and you've got to post it out now, it's over £1 to post it out to each person.

Jacci Durkee:

We will refund your postage. We are back to the same thing, if you are going to post them out, if you take them to the office, we will put them in our envelopes and post them for you, because it's cheaper than us refunding your money.

Chairman:

That is something we can work on.

John Kirby:

I was running a rally a few years back now; we've been 32 years in the club, so it was about 25 years we'd been in and one of the members turned up and showed their membership cards on arrival and I said 'how come your membership number is smaller than ours', and I said 'sorry we've never seen you before'. They were a member who used to travel all over the country and that was their very first rally after about 20, 30 odd years in the club, and ours was the very first they'd come to. So, if you don't put a rally programme out to all members within the group, then you are not going to get more than the usual rally scene, so to encourage more members in then you must put the message out further.

Chairman:

That's what we want to do, and we want to use all forms of media. A lot of people like using it, social media, Facebook, what have you. We've got the website that I would like to do.

John Kirby:

They are good engines to go down, but you still need to fall back, and after saying we've got £15,000 in there, yes it might cost you a grand to put it out, it might be a lot of money, but you are going to hit all those people within the group and cover all contingencies.

Chairman:

Yes, because even if it costs you that money, if it encourages one or two extra people to attend a rally you will start to recover some of that money.

John Kirby:

So, we will look forward to having a rally programme, that's what we are saying?

Chairman:

Yes, you will get one.

John Kirby:

Thank you very much Mr Chairman.

Jacci Durkee:

You can always try and get sponsors to advertise in your magazine. A lot of the groups, it costs them nothing because they get the local businesses to advertise in it.

Chairman:

There are people that do my vehicle servicing, they are quite happy to sponsor.

Jacci Durkee:

It all adds up and keeps your costs down.

Chairman:

That's what we want to do, look at it, cost it, try to minimise the cost without reducing the quality of what we want to do.

John Kirby:

Do we need to worry about the cost of it? We've got £15,000, that's a hell of a lot of money. We are one of the richest groups in the club and it's been expanded every year. Last time I was Chairman, I handed over, over £10,000 and I said we shouldn't go any higher than that, and I know that this man here [Jeremy Layton] had done a great deal in bolstering that up to an even higher level. I know he was trying to spend it as well, but we don't need that kind of money. Let's not be penny pinching,

let's not need at this moment in time, to have the worry of someone going out and finding sponsors or anything like that. We have the cash. Let's use that cash and get all our members brought up to date.

Chairman:

That's why I want information from members, what do they want to see.

John Kirby:

I'm sorry but I wouldn't dwell on that. In the past we've put out questionnaires to every member, and Jeremy did the same, you will not get that. You have to put things on and hope that you are getting the right balance.

Chairman:

But even if I get one reply, that has been worthwhile, and I'm not going to give up asking members. I think that is important. I will take your point on board. It's a club for everybody and we've got to listen to our members in the group. If they don't like something, I wish people would tell me and I'll take that on board and go forward from there.

Diane Moore:

You hold our information, our name, address, postcode but would it be relevant for you to have our email addresses as well as?

Chairman:

Members email addresses comes through to the Secretary, but a lot of them get bounced back because they are out of date.

Jeremy Layton:

I used to email in blocks of 10 and out of that 10, I'd get 8 bounced back.

Chairman:

I've had that many bounce back this year, it's unbelievable. Yes, it would be great for emails but it's a back-breaking exercise.

Chris Windmill:

Also, some people sending emails, once they've got, think they've got, a Severn Valley email, they keep sending it there. We still, I am, getting emails passed on to me from Allen Warren. He sends them on to us but people are not looking in the magazine for the correct email address to use; they just keep sending to one's they've used before.

John Kirby:

Hence the reason why a programme would be better so that all up to date information would be in the programme.

Chairman:

We need to update everything so people know. That is the intention.

The little cards to encourage new members, put your number on, and give out, get a voucher. Jacci has a box full and will share them out.

Beryl Staite:

Going back to you sending out rally flyers. I always check the magazine. It's like double really and it's more expense. You say just spend the money and whatever, but there is always some, like Jeremy, has put on food before. We could have that several times and use the money up then, not all of it, but some of it. People all have the magazines so why don't they look in their magazine because you've got all the different ones around the country?

John Kirby:
I can answer that if you like?

Chairman:
You've got more experience than me.

John Kirby:
The reason, it's a very good and valid point, the question is where does that information come from? It comes from, what they're trying to do at the moment. They are putting forward all these rallies in November of this year to cover all the year. What happens is every month; the magazine goes through and they take that information from the main group of rallies that they put in in the November. They may not be up to date. If they aren't keeping on top of it and say we need this cancelled, and head office hasn't cancelled them then that information will continue going into the magazine. But if you have a rally programme you know who the hosts are, or at least who to contact, then you will have something better in your hand, than just a magazine. It's a good idea, but I am still firmly behind an actual rally programme.

Chairman:
Can I just say something a bit further. I have been, for the last 5 months, submitting the information for the magazine and I've been putting the information in for the next upcoming rallies for people, and we would carry on doing that.

Jacci Durkee:
That is the only way. Head office have nothing to do with the cancelling of rallies. The only way the information gets in the magazine is by the scribes, sending it in to Jade in the magazine. That's the only way it gets into the magazine.

Chairman:
Yes that's what I've been doing every month.

Richard Lamberton:
What we are saying is the monthly magazine would be more up to date than the programme you get at the beginning of the year anyway.

Jacci Durkee:
Yes, it is. People also use the website.

Chairman:
Yes, that's another tool where we try to reach members.

Richard Lamberton:
So, what's the point of the programme? The monthly magazine is your up-to-date place to go to.

Jacci Durkee:
I agree but people complain, we were away when the magazine came. The magazine, did you know, also goes on the website, so you can read it on there because some people don't get it. People that live in their vans don't have a home address, they don't want it, so they have to, they've got to, rely on going online to have a look at it. It is the most up to date place, you are right.

Chairman:
We need to explore every media we can do.

Richard Lamberton:
As long as you keep the monthly magazine informed, that's all we need.

Jacci Durkee:

We do like your rally programmes; last year it was a bit of awash on the trade stands. When we are trying to advertise the groups, not just this one, you give them to a lot of new members, the shows are local like at the Malvern show. We like to show them the rally programmes, what goes on at the rallies, we can't show them this with a bit of paper that just says on this date we are here; it's not good enough. John is right we do need rally programmes. So, I am for that as well, but from a selling point of view for new members, it really is a good tool.

John Kirby:

But it's also, you are quite right in what you are saying, that's why do we need it when we have the rally details coming out in the magazine. But also, a lot of people want to plan their year ahead and they can't plan their year if it's only coming through on a monthly basis.

Richard Lamberton:

So as long as the programme you get has got the rallies for that year...

John Kirby:

Absolutely yes.

Lynda Maynor:

You are not going to get it all on a small sheet.

Chairman:

No, you're not. What we would like to do is have, because a lot of people have said 'oh we like the small sheet, we put it on our notice board', so what we would like to do is to try and incorporate into it, where there is the main information coming across and then on the back of it, a detachable sheet that you can pin on your notice board that has got the dates of the rallies on.

Jeremy Layton:

The books always had that in on the back sheet. People could tear the back cover off and put that on their notice boards.

Chairman:

That's what we think is a better idea, you'll have the best of both worlds.

5. Meeting closure

Chairman:

Lastly, I would like to thank Karen who has been taking the minutes for both the AGM and the members meeting.

[Members applause.]

Sorry and Kirstie.

Kirstie Lamberton:

It's okay, I am only back up!

Chairman:

I'd like to close the meeting and thank you all for attending. I hope you all have a good year and we all enjoy ourselves.

Meeting closed 12:36pm