

Piedmont Area Service Committee Minutes

April 11, 2021
Virtual Meeting

I. Call to Order and Serenity Prayer: 4:00 pm Amalie D.

Twelve Traditions: Dana R.

Definition of ASC: David H.

Twelve Concepts: Lawrence E.

ROLL CALL

Trusted Servants

Chair: David H (*Jan 2022*) (absent)

Vice Chair: Amalie D (*Feb 2022*)

Treasurer: Kurt S. (*November 2021*)

Vice Treasurer: Ben C (*Jan 2022*)

Secretary: Dana R. (*September 2021*)

Alternate Secretary: Lawrence E (*December 2021*)

RCM: Chris P. (*September 2022*)

RCM II: Bryan K (*Jan 2023*)

Literature Chair: Kyle W. (*August 2020*)

Alternate Literature Chair: Vacant

Public Relations Chair: Ben C. (*December 2021*)

H&I Chair: Jake S. (*October 2021*)

Special Events Chair: John B. (absent) (*Feb 2021*)

VRCC Director: Tee T. (*March 2022*)

Alternate VRCC Director: None

Group Service Representatives

Quorum was not met.

Addicts in the Belfry: Terry W.

Changing Perspectives: Erich H. (*absent-1*)

New Attitudes: Ryan R.

New Life Group: Kevin O (*absent-2*)

SOS: Tee T.

Serene in Green: Tracey A.

Sharing What We Have: Kim S (*absent-1*)

Spiritual Solutions: John Tr (*absent-1*)

Whatever It Takes: Jake B.

We Choose Recovery: Lawrence E

Where I'm At: Ann Mason B

Groups removed from roll call:

New Life Group

Groups to be added:

None

Also attending:

None

April Minutes: Quorum was not met, so the April minutes have not been approved.

OPEN FORUM

None

II. REPORTS

Chair Report: (*David H*) No report.

Vice Chair Report: (*Amalie D*) No report.

Secretary Report: (*Dana R*) No report.

Regional Committee Member Report (*Chris P. is absent, but sends a report*)

Hey Family,

I'll try to be concise.

There's a motion that needs to go back to groups, a budget issue for the Zone. I will list it below so it can be added to announcements for easy access for the GSRs. We will need to vote on it at the next ASC.

There are many open positions in the RSC service structure, those positions are: Treasurer Chair and vice chair, speaker jam chair, secretary, H&I chair, PR chair, Regional delegate alt, and Regional Chair and vice chair. We have some willing servants at the regional level that will hopefully be voted in at next RSC, but we still need help.

Anyone willing to get involved at the regional level please talk to either Brian K or Chris P. Regional H&I is in a state of rebuilding. It has been suggested that all areas send their H&I chairs to the regional subcommittee meeting. Subcommittees meet the third Saturday of the month every other month. May 15th should be the next meeting however it's not up on the car-na.org website yet.

The GSR assembly which occurred April 17th this year was well attended and really informative. Our very own David H put on a very cool presentation for the Planning ad-hoc. Also we had presentation on: H&I today virtually, H&I today Media and tablet, overview of the Canadian assembly, local PR, fellowship development, NAWS update, US zones update, and AZF update. These were all topics pulled from the planning survey that was on the website.

I personally got a lot out of the day, our region is a really powerful ally for our area and I hope we can utilize more and more of what it has to offer. The way we do that is by getting more people involved from our area. If you have questions or if you're interested in getting involved please give us a shout!

ILS, Chris P and Brian K

VRCC/ECCNA Report: *(Tee T.)*

Due to work conflicts I was unable to attend the last ASC. The VRCC met on 3/21/21 at noon via zoom.

The chair reported to the region in February and as I mentioned in my previous report the chair and vice chair could not negotiate a financial prudent contract for the 40th AVCNA with the Marriott Resort/Cavalier Hotel in Virginia Beach. The directors voted to open the bids for the 40th AVCNA to be held in January 2023. Bids are due in April and the area must have a director serving on the VRCC in order to submit a bid. Bidding guidelines can be found on our website www.avcna.org. Also an ad hoc committee was formed at the business meeting in January to explore virtual convention and hybrid options.

The chair also reported that she is in the process of setting up a walk thru for the Hotel Madison, the site of the 39th AVCNA.

The virtual convention and hybrid options ad hoc committee met on 2/28/21 had 2 members in attendance. It was determined that it could be done without much extra effort. The ad hoc committee recommended moving forward however, they determined that the body would have to determine if they wanted to do so. If so, this body would also have to make two other decisions:

1. Whether to stream the main speakers, all workshop speakers or just the main speakers; and
2. Whether to put the content behind a paywall or to offer the content for free.

It was also reported that Mark L. would be willing to accept a pro temp appointment to website chair in order to implement a decision to move forward. Mark L. was not present at the VRCC meeting to accept. No decision was made to move forward with this.

I will follow up with this at the next VRCC board meeting.

Norman C., currently the 39th host committee secretary, was nominated and accepted the VRCC Policy chair position.

Currently the VRCC Website Chair and VRCC Vice Treasurer positions are open.

A copy of the VRCC March 2021 minutes are posted on the VRCC webpage:

<http://www.avcna.org/index.html>

Special Events Report: *(John B.)*

Thanks to Dana for agreeing to submit my report for the special events subcommittee, as Jason and I are both unavailable for the Area Service Meeting.

Our Regional Speaker Jam will be on Saturday June 12, from 1pm-5pm. It will be virtual. Flyers are attached with the zoom login info.

Jason, David H. and Dana R. are working on gathering speakers, and Dana has graciously volunteered to help with the tech stuff on the Zoom side of things. Please contact Jason B. at pozziivybe@aol.com if you would like to help find speakers for the topics portion of the event.

Additionally, John B. and Jim W. will be heading up the "Watching Party" portion of the event, which will be held at the First Baptist Church on W. Main St. (address on flyer), from 1-5pm (during the entire speaker jam). Food and drink will be provided and there will be a TV there streaming the speaker jam, so it can be watched live with other addicts. Anyone who is comfortable watching the event in an in-person group setting is encouraged to attend. Please contact John B. at baber.john@gmail.com if you are interested in assisting with the "Watching Party".

Chris P spoke from the floor to remind the committee to keep all receipts for the event.

Public Relations Report: *(Ben C)*

The Public Relations sub-committee met today. We had nine people in attendance.

Panel Reports:

Website:

- In the last 30 days we have had 617 site visits, 2 contact form submissions and 0 file downloads.
- One meeting, the Friday "Where I'm At" group went back to in-person meetings, so that was changed on the Website and the Zoom meeting went back to "Piedmont".

Meetings Lists:

- Nothing new to report.

Literature Racks:

- Nothing new to report.

Phone Line:

- Since our last sub-committee meeting, the phone line has received no calls.

Presentations:

- The presentations coordinator spoke with Joe Platania, the elected Commonwealth's Attorney. He would like to have a presentation at the UVA Law School later in the year, possibly September or October.
 - o Mr. Platania was also connected to Jake S., our current H&I sub-committee Chairperson since he indicated that the ACRJ facility is supposed to be getting tablets.
- A voicemail was left at the Home to Hope (a City of Charlottesville program)
- Wellness Recovery was contacted was not interested in a presentation.
- Other possible facilities that were discussed were the UVA Med School, the Mini Med School, as well as the UVA Nursing School

Old Business:

- The PR Budget was discussed again. The sub-committee is still unclear whether the new Zoom account needs to be covered under the PR budget. We're also unclear if we should continue with breaking out our budget in the previous multiline format (PR budget, Website fees, Meeting Lists printing, etc) or consolidate it.
- The Meeting List Coordinator position description was discussed and mostly approved with some minor changes. The sub-committee intends to discuss during the month leading up to the June PRC.

Elections

- Dana R. was nominated and elected as the Meeting Lists Coordinator. We still need a Literature Racks Coordinator.

Next Meeting of the PRS will be at 1:00 pm on June 6, 2021

In Loving Service,

Ben C.

H&I Report: *(Jake S)*

The H and I subcommittee met this afternoon with 8 people in attendance.

Boxwood continues to be the only facility that is fully open to volunteers. As I stated last month, there is a core group of members that have been willing to volunteer, and I'm sure the patient's could benefit from an increasingly diverse message. If you are interested in volunteering, please let Erick H. or myself know.

The inmates at ACRJ were supposed to receive tablets yesterday. They should be able to use those tablets to attend virtual H and I meetings. Olivia, the ACRJ contact person, and Lauren H. are still coordinating this and hopefully things will be set up by the end of the month.

Virtual meetings are taking place at 5 East. We are currently bringing in two meetings a month. If you are interested in helping out, please let Melissa F. know.

Jim W. was able to find two willing volunteers to bring meetings into the Wellness Center. Thanks to Jim and the volunteers! They will be bringing a meeting in once a month until the facility becomes open to more visitors.

As a reminder, this is my last meeting serving as chairperson. It has been such a joy serving with you all! If anyone is ever in the Denver area, please let me know.

Open service positions include H and I chairperson, H and I secretary, and Wellness Center panel leader.

ILS,

-Jake S.

Treasurer's Report: *(Kurt S.)*

The treasurer's report is included in the minutes. We will not be working on the budget at this time because there is no quorum.

PIEDMONT AREA TREASURER REPORT			
Month	May '21	April '21	March '21
Beginning Balance	\$2,246.16	\$1,948.71	\$2,604.57
Donations	\$455.19	\$458.44	\$380.19
Expenses:			
Literature Order (NAWS)	\$374.23	\$0.00	\$0.00
PR Expenses	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$21.06
Secretary Expenses	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
Treasurer Expenses	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
Special Events	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
PASC Rent	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
USPS PO Box	\$0.00	\$146.00	\$0.00
H&I Printing	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
Web Site	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
Bank Fee	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
Miscellaneous	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$0.00
GoDaddy (Webpage)	\$14.99	\$14.99	\$14.99
CAR-NA Donation	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$500.00
NAWS Donation	\$0.00	\$0.00	\$500.00
Total Expenses	\$389.22	\$160.99	\$1,036.05
Ending Balance	\$2,312.13	\$2,246.16	\$1,948.71
Difference +/- From Prudent Reserve (\$1,600)	\$712.13	\$646.16	\$348.71

Literature Report: (*Jim W.*)

Literature given out this month:

H&I: 1 Basic text - **\$12.15**

Off The Tracks: 3 medallions; 18 mon., 13yr, and 20yr – **\$10.20**

Total of **\$22.35** given out.

I am going to contact world this month and get the information switched from Jim to me.

Alternate Literature Chair is open, please contact me if interested.

Much love,
Kyle W.

Ad-hoc Reports:

25th ECCNA Bid Committee Report: (*Tee T*)

April Report:

I apologize for not being at the last ASC. I had work commitments that I had to attend too. The ECCNA bid committee met twice on zooms 3/22/21 and 4/5/21 since the last ASC. It was reported that the ECCNA 24 will be held in Maryland in June 2021. The executive committee will need to attend to put in the bid for the 25th ECCNA in June of 2022. VCU and U of Richmond sent video tours of their campuses. Unfortunately, they don't show everything and are unusable to access the university and its capacity to handle the convention. We have reached out to both campuses and only VCU will allow us to tour in person. The tour for VCU is scheduled for 4/16/21 at 9AM. Unfortunately with my work schedule I will not be able to attend with the chair.

I have been asked to have our letter of support updated. I will ask our chair to update our previous letter of support.

As things start speeding up, our area will need a liaison between the host committee and the area. They will need to attend bid committee meetings and report back to the area. With my upcoming work schedule I am afraid I will not be able to attend every ASC and report back on what is going on with the upcoming convention.

The host committee also approved the pre convention t-shirt design. We will t-shirts soon. I am sending in with this report a picture of the design.

The next ECCNA meeting will be 4/19/21 at 6:30 on zoom. Please get in touch with me if you would like to attend.

ILS
Tee T.
434-242-1970

May 2021 ECCNA report

The ECCNA host committee has met three times since my last meeting on 3/5/21.

The chair was able to tour VCU campus and reported back that it had ample space, nice common areas, and more meeting spaces than we need to host the convention. He was unable to information on parking dormitories, or cafeteria. He also reported that we need to start thinking where we can meet to hold elections for the host committee. These elections would need to be immediately done after winning the bid for the 25th ECCNA bid at the 24th ECCNA convention. It was previously reported that our group is the only area making a bid for the 25th ECCNA convention.

I have submitted a request to VCU to get a break down of the cost to hold the convention there. I have asked for an updated cost from William & Mary. I currently have last year's proposal for a 2021 convention on their campus.

I have submitted our letter of support for this convention signed by our chair.

We met earlier today to approve the t-shirt color and designs. The T-shirts have to be ordered by Monday 5/3/21 in order to be ready for the 24th ECCNA convention on 6/25/21-6/27/21. Currently only 250 people are allowed at the 24th ECCNA convention due to Marylands COVID protocols. Currently it is sold out. I am on the wait list.

The host committee is looking for a place to meet in person once the bid is awarded. More will be revealed on a date/time/location.

Please see me if you are interested in be the Piedmont liaison to the host committee or are interested in chairing or participating on one of the committees.

The host bid committees also met 5/2/21 on zoom to approve pre convention t-shirt order. The next host committee meeting will be on 5/10 /21 at 6:30 on zoom.

ILS
Tee T

Literature Ad Hoc: (*Kermit is not here and sends no report.*)

Zoom Ad Hoc: The committee has not yet met.

RECESS

None

IV. OLD BUSINESS

None

V. NEW BUSINESS

None

VI. ELECTIONS

None

VII. ANNOUNCEMENTS AND ANNIVERSARIES

ANNOUNCEMENTS

In keeping with our 7th Tradition, a reminder that the Paypal app on our website: piedmontvana.org does have the ability to be set up with a recurring donation.

The following positions are open for those interested in serving the NA Community:

- *VRCC Alternate Director please contact Tee T.*
- *H&I Chairperson, Secretary, Wellness Recovery Center panel leader positions are open. Please contact Jim W.*
- *The PR Sub-Committee is in need for a Literature Racks Coordinator. If you're interested please see Ben C. or Megan O.*
- *Piedmont Site liaison to the ECCNA host committee position is open. Please contact Tee T.*
- *There are many positions open at the regional level. Please contact Chris P.*

ANNIVERSARIES

- *David D will celebrate 2 years Monday, May 3 at 6pm at We Choose Recovery virtual meeting.*
- *Kyle W., Ky L., and Blane S. will be celebrating 3, 25, and 15 years respectively on Sunday May 9th at the 7pm virtual meeting and there will be .*
- *Tee T will celebrate 19 years on Sunday, May 30 at the 7 pm Virtual Meeting.*

VIII. MOTIONS TO SEND BACK TO GROUPS

Motion from Region: Motion 207-2 Maker; Delegate team Seconded: Roland C. Tidewater

Motion to increase the AZF budget from \$257.50 a year to \$457.50 a year. \$450.00 is for funding trusted servant positions of secretary, facilitator and treasurer. \$7.50 is for our domain name. Adding the treasurer position and the fact that we are now a 5 Region zone instead of 6 with Mountaineer Region not participating in our zone any more.

Intent; To continue to carry the message through our Autonomy Zonal Forum.

Next ASC: *The next Area Service will be held on June 6, 2021 at 4:00pm*

Motion to Close: 4:48 pm

Made by: Tracy

2nd by: Kyle W

Serenity prayer said by all.

ILS, Dana R.