

Next Hui Agenda:

DATE: 26th of January 2022

TIME: 7:05pm

KARAKIA TIMATANGA: Jackie Katipa-Maikuku

Present: Selwyn Te Paa (Selwyn T.P), Te Oranoa Matthews (Te Oranoa M), Jackie Katipa-Maikuku (Jackie K.M), Nico Calderón-Hunt (Nico C.H), Abby Carnegie (Abby C), Nadine Houia-Ashwell (Nadine H.A), Nic Sinnott (Nic S), Brooke Bridges (Brooke B), Jessie Parr (Jessie P), Isaac Samuels (Isaac S.)

- I. **APOLOGIES** - Bailey Lacey-Rameka, Te Hirea Doherty (moved by Brooke Bridges, seconded by Jackie Katipa-Maikuku)
- II. **AROUND THE TABLE - How's the Mauri out of 10?**
- III. **MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING:**

Motion to accept January Minutes

Move: That the minutes from the Te Oranga Executive meeting held in January 2022 be taken as a true and correct record given the corrections are made.

Moved by Nico Calderón-Hunt
Seconded by Abby Carnegie

IV. FINANCIAL REPORT -

Abby C:

- Over the last month, I have been picking up and handing over from the last exec. There were a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied up. I have finished off last year's budget and have been working out funding for each of the portfolios. Started chatting with Nic about funding for Kura Reo. There are lots of funding opportunities that I have been trying to organize. I just need to get onto emailing them, but it's definitely progressing.

V. EVALUATION OF PREVIOUS ACTION POINTS

- A. Plan next date of hui at informal welcome - **Completed**
- B. Kura Reo
 1. Discuss location of Reo Wananga in the north island - **Completed**

Nic S:

- We've just been working through the funding applications. Just pumping through a lot of the admin mahi for this project, since funding closes next week. Finally at the end of it now, just before this hui we sat down and thought up a budget. I'm asking for more than what we need just so we can have enough and work backwards from there if we need to. There was a lot of

paragraphs in it, so I did the first one in Maori and then did the rest in English. But stoked with what we submitted, fingers crossed we get it.

- For the location, it will be at Whangarei - NorthTec Marae (Te Puna o te Matauranga), it's going to be 100 taurira. They are able to tentatively book us in for our proposed dates [2-4th of September], but if it's Red light, we can't stay there.
- There's still a lot to think about, like kaiako, splitting up classes, 100 people on the marae. But after this meeting I'm going to email back the marae and let them know that we want to stay at their venue and start sorting those details out.

Selwyn T.P:

- Shot Nic! He's been working away at getting this application into Te Matawai. If we get it, then that could potentially fund the rest of our events too. So really appreciate the mahi you've been putting into this.

C. WAT

1. Start conversation around planning WAT (speakers, marae booking etc...)
- **Completed**

Brooke B:

- So if I ran through it quickly, a few of us thought that we would start on the program side of things. Seeing as it hasn't been done before we thought about what we could do, venues, timbales etc... We've had a good think about speakers, but still open to thoughts on what we have planned so far.
- We thought about flights, accommodation and other things and thought we would cap the numbers at 70. That way it can still go ahead in a red light, it'll be pretty doable to find accommodation and it sounded like a good number. Also based on the responses to that survey that went out on the mailing list to UoO taurira.
- Christchurch is where we're thinking of hosting it, following on from that conversation of one event being held in the North Island and one event being held in the South island. We can also use the Medical school there, it also has a catering service which is perfect.
- There are some issues with accommodation though. There are only 2 marae in Christchurch; one is 1+ hours from the airport and city and the other 40 mins drive to access the locations we want. So both would involve hiring a bus. Otherwise the second thought was to model it off of other conferences, where we stay in a hotel/hostel type of vibe. We've managed to find a place that would manage to host everyone under one roof as opposed to splitting people up. It's an old hotel with dorm-like facilities and we've got a quote for that as well.

D. General

1. Think over our potential mission statement for exec - **not completed** (*carry over to next hui*)
2. Look for Te Reo Teachers in region - **not completed** (*taamaki exec to complete*)
3. Planning around Te Oranga presentations at Te Ora conference (Topics: Te Reo in Med School and Covid Response) - **Completed**

VI. CURRENT BUSINESS

A. Report backs

1. Ōtepoti

Nic S:

- It's been busy down here. ELMS have just hit Dunedin, second years are also pumped, great seeing people. On TOKO we're just trying to organize what kind of whakatau we want with the taura during COVID. Otherwise, personally just starting clinicals.

2. Ōtautahi

Jackie K.M:

- ALMS 4 have just had their second week here. There are 17 new maori taura joining from ALM 4 and had the opportunity of meeting them all out at Onuku, while on their retreat. A lot of them are keen to get involved as much as they can, so it's great to see their interest.

3. Pōneke

Nadine H.A:

- Had an intro during Orientation Week where we had a few speakers there. Selwyn, Te Rina and I each gave a quick spiel to introduce the Poneke chapter of Te Oranga. We're still formalizing it, but we've started to call it Nga Puna Hauora. We did a powerpoint presentation about the history of support given to taura from doctors and how Nga Puna Hauora is a way of formalizing that. That way we can apply for more funding, organize events and bring more people together.
- It was quite good that there were 3 of us there, because I had a very strong approach on support for Maori taura, while Selwyn and Te Rina were good at pushing what we offered to the non-maori taura. I think Selwyn made a very good point that to be a good Tiriti partner, you can engage in these events and things that we are offering like Te Whare Tapiri - where he does Te Reo classes.
- Last friday, we had our get together with the Taura Maori here in Poneke. We hired a function room in town. There were about 30 or so people that turned up. It was good for the 4th years to meet some of the house officers, regs, and consultants. So that when they go on placement, they might be able to recognise some people and feel more at ease. Especially because there is no formal campus here, so there isn't a great way of regularly meeting with people in clinical years. We'll be meeting again soon to decide where to go from there.

Nic S:

- Just super quick before we move on. That sounds so cool that you were able to meet with so many people, but how did you manage to get a hold of the house officers, regs and consultants? How did you get their contacts?

Nadine H.A:

- I think for a lot of it was just social circles. We started off with friends who are house officers now and Selwyn flats with a reg. But actually our old rep had put together an email list of Maori doctors that they passed on. So we've kept that list and have just added to it. Now when we hold events, we get people to sign up using their emails and that will add to the list.
- We put that with that mailing list, we'll be able to get ahold of people who can provide tutorials for our taura here. We'll see how that goes though.

4. Te Puku

Jessie P:

- Just started our first week on placement. Year 4 had 2 weeks of formal learning before being dispersed to our hospitals. The biggest challenge for me is figuring out how I'm going to communicate with taura in my rohe since I cover such a big area that has so many different DHBs. I've been told to make a facebook page, but I know how we all feel about facebook pages. It's another work in progress and just something for me to think about.

5. Tāmaki

Issac S:

- In terms of Tamaki, everyone has already started aside from the preclinical years. I think Jessie and I have been working on getting together a mailing list of all the Maori medical students in Tamaki, but that's still in the works here in UoA.
- I have had a meeting with Manaaki (Student Health Association for UoA). I met with their President - Maaike, and their social media officer - Madi. We had a chat about this year, we have an event penciled for the end of March. That's going to be a super informal, whakawhanaungatanga get-together at my whare. Just come as you are and hope to set up something like an MoU with Manaaki going forward. Will keep everyone posted as I hear more.
- Last thing up at Tamaki, I'm in my BMedSci so I'm in the clinical research space. I've been talking to Dr Sarah Jane Payne, she's a researcher up here in Auckland and she's wanting to get a Maori research group going here in Auckland. So that's what I'm also looking into helping with.

Selwyn T.P:

- That sounds mean, I'll add to that a little bit later. As there is a surgeon down here who is also wanting to start a Maori surgical interest group to pump out more surgeons. We can come back to that later though.

6. Whangārei

Nico N.H:

- It's been ridiculously muggy up here in Whangārei, but that seems to have broken now. Everyone is settled into their routines. 5th years started off with their zoom powhiri, we were all dressed up and just about to go onto the marae, when they stopped because there was a covid case in Northland.
- In terms of organizing things, I've just reached out to the facebook page. There aren't many of us here comparatively. 37 in total with maybe 4-5 maori in that group. Just reached out to tell everyone to keep checking our socials for events coming up.
- In terms of events to throw up here. We had a good talk with the General Manager of the Maori Health Directorate and I reckon he would be a good person to keep in touch with to arrange a way for us to keep in touch with one another. I think it's a really good idea to hear from the Maori doctors up here, especially since we have the highest population of Maori in the country. So that's something that's on my mind.

7. NZMSA

Selwyn T.P:

- I've written a brief document about it, but basically once we have properly written up and an agreement drafted, I'll talk about it more. But at this point, there's nothing to feedback there.

8. Te ORA

Selwyn T.P:

- They've got their Hui-a-Tau, which is their weekly webinar. We're due to talk about them in April. But I'll come back to that later on in the agenda.

9. ACE (Advanced Choice of Employment)

Selwyn T.P:

- There's the international students letter that I dropped to the chat earlier on. Just the issue with Australian trained doctors having priority over the New Zealand trained international students when it comes to employment post grad. The letter is basically refuting that prioritization category. Bailey and I passed the document around a few times, and have made edits here and there. We were happy to add our organization's name onto that letter for support. Based on the group chat, I believe no one is against that idea either.

B. Portfolios

Issac S:

- In terms of the socials, thank you so much to everyone for sending those in. We started with our Tumuaki and finished with our Tumuaki Tuarua which are happy days. What I'm going to write up in the next few weeks is what I'm wanting our Med Talks to look like. Just so we can get those rolling asap. Ideally I would love to run them weekly, if not fortnightly. Just needing to find some students that are keen to share a bit about their journey. Even if we get a backlog of 30 different stories that way we can just post when we want. Just so we're getting that consistency on our socials. We wanna chuck up as much as we can, so we're more visible and out there.

Jessie P:

- There isn't much in the handover about merch, so I'm still working on that. I'm debating whether or not to include it for both events, just one event or have it as something available all year round.

Te Oranoa M:

- There is also capacity on the website for us to be able to sell things, if needs be. Just so you can have that to think about in terms of your plans for merch.

Jessie P:

- I'm also still waiting to hear about the history of the tohu for Te Oranga before releasing merch.

Te Oranoa M:

- Sorry. I know who made it and the group that set it up, but they all know of each other but not how to get a hold of one another. So ill make an action point of at least finding the designer and sending that info your way Jessie.

C. Reo classes in med school

Jessie P:

- Just got to know who the taura are down here, so I'm still working on that.

Nico C.H:

- Still working on it too.

Jackie K.M:

- Christchurch is similar vibe.

Te Oranoa M:

- Still on our to do list. Haven't been able to meet any taura yet so it may be something we plan for the second semester. Just trying to get people together first then will think about Reo classes, but super keen to have something like this in Tamaki.

D. Te ORA Webinar

Selwyn T.P:

- We need to attach names to these presentations. We settled on Te reo in Med School and Covid and Med School. Normally it would run as 35 mins for each presentation with a 15min break in between. There's normally a facilitator and 1-2 speakers for each topic. Who would like to do it?

Facilitator - Brooke B.

Te Reo in Meds School - Selwyn T.P & Nic S.,

Covid-19 and Med School - Jackie K.M & Te Oranoa M.

E. 2022 Questionnaire

Selwyn T.P:

- We put out a questionnaire to gauge the interests of the University of Otago taura. We've had 65 people say they are keen for Kura Reo and 60 keen for Wananga-a-Tau. It's yet to go through to the University of Auckland taura, but at least there is definitely interest in these events.

Te Oranoa M:

- Would we consider letting taura come to the daytime events but return to their accommodation if they live there so we can have more people?

Brooke B:

- I don't see why not. The only issue would be that it would still need to be under 100 for most of the events to go through if we're still in Red light.

Nic S:

- I've thought about this too and would love to have them attend but it's just covid dependent. Especially if the marae we stay at decides they won't take extra people then we would have to say no.
- Would we also consider a fee for registration for the events? Just thinking if the funding application doesn't get approved.

Selwyn T.P:

- Yeah. I'm not against rego fees. If we give people enough notice, then it is normally doable for most taurira.

Te Oranoa M:

- We could have a few allocated spots for student hardship where fees are covered if we do go ahead with fees.

Selwyn T.P:

- Sounds good.

VII. NEW BUSINESS

A. T.I. Omicron Surge Work

Selwyn T.P:

- The University of Otago released a statement saying that should we lose a whole lot of healthcare workers, TIs may be called on to do casual work. That could potentially be paid work as well and work around university hours. One workers union tried to get involved, however it seemed as an attempt to secure future union members rather than genuine concern for TIs.
- I've put the Te Oranga name on the letter which says that we (Medical students) do not want to get involved in the union power plays and that the university already has principles in place that protect our interest in the Surge Workforce announcement.
- This didn't go through the group chat since it had to be turned around quite quickly but I am happy to redact the name if there are any opposed? *None opposed.*

B. Te Poka Pū - Māori Surgical Interest Group

Selwyn T.P:

- A GenSurg Registrar reached out to me to make an online Maori surgical interests group. Sounded good, so we met last week to talk. She wants 4 online webinars and all that, so I thought it would be good to give her a spot on our Wananga-a-Tau panel as a speaker. She also has some funding to put together a Maori surgical research group which she can promote at the waa as well.
- It is an independent roopu from Te Oranga, but it falls under the umbrella of kaupapa since it promotes getting Maori from different areas of health together. So would anyone else like to jump on this kaupapa?

Issac S:

- I would.

Selwyn T.P:

- Awesome done.

C. Regional Rep Committee

Selwyn T.P:

- Would love to have a groupchat to plan more ideas about getting more taura maori and actual takuta maori meetings more regularly. It went really well in Poneke and would love to see it extend to other regions.
- D. NZMSA Re-structure - *talked through in NZMSA reportback.*
- E. ACE International students letter - *talked through in ACE reportback.*
- F. TWT Maori Docs student survey - Jessie

Jessie P:

- Just got an email from Associate Prof Donna Cormack about wanting more promotion of a survey they are wanting to push out regarding racism faced by both taura takuta maori and graduate takuta maori. Who do I link her up with if we decide to support that?

Issac S:

- That would be me and I'm happy for us to take that kaupapa on. Sounds really good. *All agreed in pushing out the survey.*

VIII. LIST OF ACTION POINTS

- A. Compare budgets of Kura Reo and Wananga-a-Tau = Brooke B. to send to Nic S.
- B. Confirm accommodation for Wananga-a-tau - Brooke B.
- C. Confirm accomodation for Kura reo - Nic S.
- D. Replace values on website: Whakapiri, Whakawhanake, Whakataeranga - Te Oranoa M.
- E. Mission Statements - Everyone
- F. Template for manual to be out by next hui - Te Oranoa M.
- G. Organize Te Ora webinar presentations - Selwyn T.P, Nic S., Te Oranoa M., Brooke B., Jackie Katipa-Maikuku
- H. Send logo history to Jessie for merch - Te Oranoa M.
- I. Brooke to send Muru details to Te Oranoa M. - Brooke B.
- J. Send handover to Nico for Te Wiki o Te Reo Maori - Te Oranoa Matthews
- K. Nico and Jackie to swap portfolios - Nico C.H & Jackie K.M
- L. 2022 Questionnaire to go to Tamaki taura - Issac S.
- M. Start surgical Interest group discussions - Selwyn T.P & Issac S.
- N. Make group chat for regional rep committee - Selwyn T.P
- O. Send survey information to Issac to post to social media - Jessie P.

Next Te Oranga Hui/ Handover: at Face-to-Face 12-13th of March

Next Kaikarakia: Brooke Bridges

KARAKIA WHAKAMUTUNGA: Jackie Katipa-Maikuku